Sunday, September 18, 2011

Things learnt for this project

To complete my project, without outsourcing any of the work to anybody else, I would have to learn how to transfer the ideas in my head to rough algorithms. From these algorithms, in order to transfer this logic to an actual machine, I would have to use a computer language. Of course, there are steps to any complicated process so before jumping right into the language that exists on the final device, I had to learn a much simpler computer language. I decided to learn a computer language called "Scratch". This is a very intuitive, visual language that teaches the basics of logic in computer languages, without all the confusing syntax. With this software, I created a program called trilateration_1 that would calculate the device's current position using some formulas mentioned in another post. After somewhat mastering Scratch, I realized that this simple language wasn't advanced enough to put onto a physical robot. Since, at the time, I had no skill in such complicated robots, I got in touch with a professor at the Indian Institute of Science who then referred me to a PhD student who was working on something very similar. 
          This man, Kaushik Sonur was working on an industrial robot used by car manufacturing firms to transport parts from one place to another. His robot used a line following method in which the robot would follow a black tape all around the factory. The robotics came in when the robot encountered an obstacle. It would either wait for the obstacle to move, be moved, or if not either, would navigate around it. I thought he could help me on the obstacle avoidance part of the project which was absolutely essential to the project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment